What is this all about?

This is all about two diaphanous young strumpets gallivanting across Europe for the month of July.

Armed only with an Interrail pass, a backpack, a large roll-along suitcase and a detailed itinerary, these arresting youths will seek out culture, history and entertainment, and attempt to experience it all on a minute budget.

Thursday 29 May 2008

STOP. LOOK. LISTEN.


Thanks to http://europe.mordac.org/index_2002.php for the photos. Yeah I don't know them, but I couldn't resist. Bad me, I know, I know.


You may be wondering, or even WORRYING about us. What, you scream feverishly, are you going to DO to entertain yourselves during the long hours spent on trains during your trip?! HAVE YOU EVEN THOUGHT ABOUT THAT?


Well, yes. We have. We're thinking of books to read (see our wishlists further down the page), I'm going to crack out a few thrilling mini travel games (check ME!), and of course any spare minute will be spent plugged into every 21st century audiophile's saviour: the iPod. Mmm. I can't live without mine, especially during long journeys. Or even short journeys. There's something so right about rolling down the road in a bus, or gliding along in a train, or even walking along on your own two feet that complements the beat of your favourite songs. To me, travelling and music fit together like pieces from a jigsaw, or:
  • club beats and dancing feet
  • being cosy in bed when there's a storm outside
  • coffee and newspapers/books and/or peoplewatching
  • turning your alarm off and going back to sleep
Buses and trains are best for music, especially when you have a window seat and an amazing landscape view, and you can just sit still and ponder. I find I drift into a pensive own-world, which probably means that I freak people out as they get onto the bus by staring at them with my brain on vacation. Usually though I just stare out of the window and think about things, undisturbed. It's the best place to be.


These videos seem to capture some of what I mean (though they can get a bit pretentious..):

or this one

or the best night travelling music from Burial - try this

and watch out for some tracks on my mixtape.

In summary, music provides a soundtrack to my life: you probably have your own soundtrack too. When I listen to music I love, it can complement or change my mood, can make me feel amazing or comfort me when I'm not feeling great, or bring back memories of good times. Perhaps I should read a book I've been meaning to for a long time and find out why:


In keeping with being an anthropologist I'm already reading this other one by Mithen too:



So what are our soundtracks for this trip? We decided to let you listen to a sample of the music we're likely to have on heavy rotation during our bon voyage by making little "mixtapes" for you to listen to. Possibly while you're reading our blog. Now wouldn't that be civilised and lovely? Have a look for a little teddy bear with speakers and an oldy-fashionedy tape on this page - click for sweet musique, a digital serenade. Well that's Mojo's mixtape, hopefully you'll like some of mine too. And keep your ear to the ground/speaker as the content of our tapes will change (mine definitely will). Hope you enjoy.

“Music, the greatest good that mortals know,
And all of heaven we have below.”
Joseph Addison (he definitely got it right)

p.s. we are soon to post on buying train tickets... and our sidebar link is almost up on STA travelbuzz...

Meg

2 comments:

Katie said...

Hey there, my friend and I are heading off around Europe on Sunday and looks like we'll be testing out a similar route to you guys! LOVE the blog btw and yeh we've booked hostels etc in advance too, guess it's a girl thing. Our planned route is; Madrid -Barcelona- Naples- Rome- Cinque Terre- Venice- Salzburgh, Prague- Berlin- home.

Anyway, here's a HI and btw I love your playlists, where can I get some of the music for the long train rides? My Ipod is in need of a serious update...

Katie (and my travel buddy, also Katie(!), in absence)

Meg said...

hey katie! really nice to get a comment. Sometimes I wonder if people read the blog or if I'm essentially just talking to Mojo..! Glad you like what we've done so far. Good thing you're testing out a similar route to us - let us know how it works out, especially in the cities we'll also be visiting! Always up for some recommendations.

Music - head to http://hypem.com. It links to music blogs that review and post mp3s. Good for new music! I got all of that playlist from that site.

Let us know how both of you Katies get on!
x