What is this all about?

This is all about two diaphanous young strumpets gallivanting across Europe for the month of July.

Armed only with an Interrail pass, a backpack, a large roll-along suitcase and a detailed itinerary, these arresting youths will seek out culture, history and entertainment, and attempt to experience it all on a minute budget.

Tuesday 20 May 2008

Escaping the mouse factory

You may recall an entry over a month ago discussing the hostels we had booked. One of them, St Christopher's at the Winston in Amsterdam has a mouse problem, but we decided to overlook it because there weren't many nice, cheap alternatives.

Well, my resolve is weak. I had another look at the reviews the other day and realised that I will be on edge all the time if we stay there, and probably unable to sleep for fear that a mouse will brush against my leg. Not only that but it appears to have some other unpleasant and offputting qualities - here are some reviews that hopefully prove I'm not just being picky:

"If you like smoking and prosty's they both a stones throw a way...if you're into more of a laid back not red light oriented stay best to avoid this place."
"dead mouse in the bedroom are just terrible and awuful!"
"The sheets were stained, I found other people's hairs in my towles, and we CAUGHT TWO mice in our room in one night."
"Winstons was the filthiest place I've ever stayed in. We switched rooms because of mice but the second room had mice scurrying around too, so we cancelled the remaining two days and are awaiting a refund."
"mice living in bed!!!!!! and only got 1/2 money back."
"In the bathroom, unless you were amputated, you had to take a shiit sitting sideways, because there wasnt room for your legs infront of the bowl."
"I watched people being mugged and chased walking to and from the hostel and there is a bell that rings outside the window every 15 min till midnight so if you had an early flight like me u got no sleep. Not a safe place staying alone in this area."

I've started looking for alternatives and Meg has agreed to as well. I'm certainly glad we are picking hostels in advance - dead mice in bed would be a pretty horrible surprise.



Mojo

2 comments:

Meg said...

"If you like smoking and prosty's they both a stones throw a way..."

I KNEW we picked the right hostel!!!

Joanna said...

I would like to go prosty spotting, it'll be fun like the zoo. Let's free one into the wild!